This is the story of a collection of people who follow Jesus. We live in Littleton. We encounter people in the name of Jesus, we allow Jesus to turn us into disciples, we gather often, and we equip people to love and serve other people better.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why? Reflections on Deer Creek

I was not here when Columbine happened. I wish I was. I wanted to help.

Yesterday, I was in my office, 1/2 mile from Deer Creek when Heidi called. Annika's bus drops her off at DCMS. She the parking lot ten minutes before the shooting.

When I drove up the police were not letting anyone in. I stood with my neighbor on the corner. His kid was in the school. She had a cell phone. She was ok and in a classroom locked down.

We were told kids were being released to Stony Creek. We went to the school. Teachers and kids were brought to the library. They let me in because I am a pastor. I sat with the kids while we waited for parents to come. First kids released about 4:30, last kid about 5:30pm. Everyone was calm. Some cried. A few kids had been standing nearby when it happened. They had talked to the shooter.

Some comments we made by the police to the teachers at 6pm. Making sure everyone knew what had happened and could help squash rumors. 1 shooter, two shot, 2 teachers tackled him.

I left the school at 6:30 and went to pick up Deer Creek kids who go to our youth group.

After youth group, I took them home and talked briefly with their parents.

Now its morning. The helicopters are flying over the house. We are supposed to leave for a conference. I am wondering if we should go or not. Either way this week is going to be hard.

The weird part about being there, in the school, sitting with the kids, is...its hard to know what to do. You just sit with them.

And so God, here we are again. A community shaken, just sitting with you.

Lamentations 3 says this:

17 I have been deprived of peace;

I have forgotten what prosperity is.

18 So I say, “My splendor is gone

and all that I had hoped from the Lord.”

19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,

the bitterness and the gall.

20 I well remember them,

and my soul is downcast within me.

21 Yet this I call to mind

and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,

for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;

great is your faithfulness.

24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;

therefore I will wait for him.”

25 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,

to the one who seeks him;

26 it is good to wait quietly

for the salvation of the Lord.

---------

Waiting quietly for the mighty hand of God to move,

Mark

720-308-4051
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Posted via email from Mark's posterous

No comments: